Friday, December 14, 2007

All I Want for Christmas

I never have been one to receive gifts well. My responses are always so awkward that the person giving the gift has surely regretted it. Perhaps this is because I do not typically want tangible gifts. The same is true now more than ever. There is nothing that I want that someone can purchase or make. This year, I can honestly say there is only one thing that I want for Christmas. This is a gift that only my Heavenly Father can grant. I want my Rebecca to be healed. I recognize that this is a loaded request. I want her to stop hurting and suffering. I want to see her smile. Perhaps I have not updated the website because I want to share the positive with you. However, there has been no change for Rebecca, which actually makes it worse. She is almost 8 months old and has lost her ability to track objects with her eyes and her ability to look at others. We have yet to see any purposeful movement for her. Her brain is not growing, and her seizures and spasms are not stopping. A recent increase in medication is hoped to improve her condition, but it has not as of yet. I expect we will be adding yet another medication for her in January to help ease her suffering and to hopefully stop her seizures. Her doctors give us the expectation for her to function somewhere within the severe to profound range of retardation. Translation, she may never do many simple things such as sit up. For example, right now her "mental age" is that of less than a one month old baby, so she is not expect to do anything that a 1 month old can do. This is why she appears so young to most who see her. I paint a bleak picture intentionally. She was dead for a minimum of 15 minutes, much likely for a lot longer in utero. The doctors expect very little from her. It is a miracle that she is able to eat, and she has been able to eat baby food as well as take a bottle. Everything she does is a direct result of God's grace. Anything she is ever able to do will continue to be a direct result of God's grace. Please continue to pray for this mother's deepest wish. For God is not confined by the parameters of this physical world and all things are possible through Him. May you each feel the full weight of your blessings this Christmas season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family you have! I can't think of anything better to say about God and what he can do. You have remarkable faith. Keep sharing that. I will keep you in my prayers. Prayers are absolutely necessary. May God give you the faith and strength to do whatever needs to be done. I have only read a little of your blog, but will read more to check on your precious Rebecca. He surely has a plan.
God Bless You,
Gwen Gatti Scott

Melissa said...

Ryan and Susan,
I know a bit late for me to be writing you, since we have not really visited in a LONG time, and I haven't even met Susan, but just know that I often think about my Louisiana family. You have remarkable faith in the Lord and all his blessings. I appologize that we have not been in touch more, and that my new family has not met yours. We will keep you in our prayers through this holiday season. God listens to your prayers and will give you strength. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL, and are a direct reflection of God's grace and mercy to those who believe in him and share his word.
God Bless you and yours,
Melissa Scott Wood

Anonymous said...

Several years ago, I had serious questions about why God chose to physically heal some, while others suffered and died. No pastor could answer my questions, no counsel from friends could give me resolution or answers.

Only after months of reading through every single word of every single miracle of Jesus in the Gospels did I find peace. Notice I said "peace", not "the answer". My peace is in knowing that God is always, always, always going to allow circumstances and events into our lives that serve two purposes, 1. for our ultimate good 2. for His ultimate glory. God has been, and will continue to be glorified in your daughter's life, indeed in your lives as well.

I cannot help but think that there are a number of physicians and nurses, receptionists and clerical workers, waiting room parents and passers by, whose eternal destinies will turn to Heaven, all because of the suffering of a baby girl named Rebecca Gatti, and the real faith that stands in the midst of the real pain of her very real and honest parents.

Can God totally heal Rebecca? Yes.
Will God totally heal Rebecca? Yes.
How will God accomplish this? I do not pretend to know. For He alone is God, He alone is sovereign.

What I do know is that he will sustain you. He will never leave you or forsake you, or Rebecca. You are not alone.

Love, Evodna Springer